Monday, January 22, 2007

Alpha Dog


Country Origin: USA
Director: Nick Cassavetes



View Trailer here



Alpha Dog is based on the true story of Jesse James Hollywood's life. He is the youngest person to ever be put on the FBI's most wanted list. Johnny Truelove is a drug dealer who is owed money by many people. Johnny and his group of friends decide to kidnap Zach (Anton Yelchin), a teen brother of someone who owes them $1200. He puts his friend Frankie (Justin Timberlake) in charge of looking after him until they work out the problem. Frankie ends up becoming friends near the conclusion of the movie.

I wasn't sure whether this movie was theatre worthy or not, as I had read many mixed reviews. After much contemplation, I decided to go. I was pleasantly surprised while watching it. I had skepticism as to whether or not Justin Timberlake would be able to portray a "bad boy." The director did a very good job of casting characters, making Timberlake the bad boy who is also a jokester with morals. I started out thinking that this would be a predictable movie where Timberlake saves the day. I was quite surprised with the ending as it did not fit the predictable ending that I was expecting. This movie felt so realistic to me that I felt as though I was watching these people’s leave lives unravel and eventually fall apart. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who would like two hours of entertainment.

5 comments:

Kurtis said...

I, too, had read decidedly mixed reviews and found it difficult to find any critics that praised the film outright. Seeing as how director Nick Cassavetes is coming off the critical and commercial success of "The Notebook," I was actually anticipating a more positive reaction. However, Nick seems to be antithesis of his father, John, who was a key figure in the American independent film movement in the 60s and 70s. Seeing as how his father's work has been instrumental in advancing the potential for American film, it's relatively disappointing to see Nick head in a more commerical direction. But, in light of your review, there would seem to be some hope for him still.

- Kurtis

amygrainger said...

I didn't know that he was the same director as The Notebook. I wasn't a huge fan of the Notebook. What movies did his dad direct? I may check some out!

-Amy

Tovers said...

I can't decide whether Justin Timberlake being in this movie makes me want to see it more, or less. Maybe this is one I can wait for to come out in the video stores..

Fazila said...

I heard this movie was supposed to be released sooner, but after Jesse James' trial they postponed the release so they could change the ending of the movie. I wonder if the alternate ending will be on the DVD. I wouldn't mind seeing how they were going to orginally end the movie.

Kurtis said...

Amy,

John Cassavetes has directed several incredible films and I'd recommend "Shadows" (1959) and "The Killing of a Chinese Bookie" (1976) for the warmth and compassion Cassavetes has for his characters. For a more depressive presentation of his work, I'd encourage you to see "A Woman Under the Influence" (1974).

Cassavetes acting work is more likely to be familiar with mainstream audiences as he appeared in such films as "The Dirty Dozen" (1967) and "Rosemary's Baby" (1968). However, it's been said that he acted only to generate the funds he needed to write/direct his independent features.

- Kurtis