Sunday, February 11, 2007

The Grudge (Ju-On, 2004)


Origin: Japan/USA

The Grudge stars Sarah Michelle Gellar, as an american girl who works as a care-giver in Tokyo. She accepts a job caring for an american family, but little does she know that the house has been cursed, by the rage of a murderous husband/father, who went on a rampage killing his wife, Kayako (Takako Fuji), his son, Toshio (Yuya Ozeki) and then committing suicide.

She experinces paranormal activity - in which the mother and son are a tag team of spirits that do the killing - once she starts her work, and as soon she finds out what actually happened in the house she becomes determined on finding out why it happened and how she can stop it. But to her demise there really is no stopping it and it keeps coming after her and everyone else that has stepped foot in the house.

In my opinion, I rather liked this movie and thought that it was amusing. But then again, I like scary movies and this one made me jump and squeal a little. Although some parts were a little cheesy others were just really creepy and gave me the shivers (i.e when the mother is following a lady up the stairwell and as soon as she gets out the mother grabs her phone and all you can really see is her eye when the doors closes). Who knew that a noise I used to always make, in my childhood days, would become the trademark of a ghost. *shrugs*

Movie Tralier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYhci6Yp6GM

3 comments:

Victor said...

I think the American version ruined it. I watched the original Japanese version a few years back and it was A LOT scarier. It's like how they made an American version of the Ring as well, or was it the other way around?

Roxanne said...

Yeah, I watched the Japanese version of The Ring and I thought that it was way scarier than the American version. I've still yet to see the Jap version of The Grudge

Tovers said...

I saw the Japanese version after seeing the American one, and I thought the Japanese one was better too. This movie made me jump a bit in theatres but wasn't scary when I watched it at home.