Monday, February 5, 2007

The Guardian (2006)

Country of Origin: USA

The Guardian starred Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher. Kevin Costner (Ben Randell) was an elite coast guard who went through emotional problems after an accident that killed his entire crew. Traumatized after this event, he was forced to leave his job and teach a group of students who wanted to be coast guards.

I was very reluctant to watch this movie when it first came out in theatres. The name was a bit misleading; I could not get a feel of what this movie was going to be about. I normally don't read previews or watch trailers before I step into a movie theatre, unless I randomly see it. I was definitely unsure of where this movie would take me or how good it would be. The movie started off very well, it grabbed my attention right away. It started off with a scene of Ben Randell (Kevin Costner) saving a couple who were trapped in the violent sea. Ben Randell came out of the adventure as a hero and as a brave man who let nothing stop him from saving lives.

The movie showed us what a coast guard really was. Coast guards were made out to be everything that Ben Randell (Kevin Costner) was at the beginning of the movie. There were a few laughing scenes, but most of it were relatively serious. One of the key storylines was created by Ashton Kutcher's (Jake Fischer) cockiness. Kutcher's role in the movie was to be the next top coast guard. The movie developed him from being a cocky guy who only cared about himself to a guy who put his life on the line to save people. He was the next Ben Randall.

I don't want to give away the entire story, but it is definitely a very well done movie that I would recommend. The movie gave me a lot more than I expected. As for the name of the movie, I did not know why the movie was named the Guardian until the very end and that is when you will find out as well. It is a very realistic, very serious, but most importantly, a very entertaining movie.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YsqVFd1o24

No comments: