Monday, March 19, 2007

Armageddon (1998)

Armageddon features Bruce Willis as Harry Stamper and Ben Affleck as A.J. Frost. Harry’s job was to lead his oil drilling team into space to battle an asteroid the size of Texas. This enormous rock was threatening to destroy Earth. A.J., who is Harry’s daughter’s fiancé, was challenged to go into space along with Harry and his team to battle this threat. After fighting many obstacles and losing a lot of their men, they finally dug deep enough into this massive asteroid to place a bomb to destroy it. All goes well until they realized that they had to sacrifice a man to detonate the bomb manually. A.J. was randomly selected as the one who will stay behind to detonate the bomb, but Harry at the last moment pulled him aside and took on the responsibility. Harry was an automatic hero. The movie created a Jesus-like figure for Harry for sacrificing his life to save the entire world.

Armageddon is a very eventful movie with a lot of action. The plot and the characters were developed very well in this movie. I could not keep my eyes off the screen during all the high thriller action scenes. The first “outer-space” movie I watched was Apollo 13, which I felt was one of the very best space movies created, with that said, I would rank Armageddon in the same category. I highly recommend this movie; it has become one of my favorites.

Overall it was very entertaining and what I felt to be a very emotional ending.

1 comment:

Fazila said...

I personally love this movie, so your post just reminded me of how much I want to watch it again!