Sunday, March 4, 2007

Un Dimanche à Kigali



Country of Origin: Québec, Canada

Director: Robert Favreau

Un Dimanche à Kigali is playing in le Cinématheque movie theatre downtown on Howe and Davie right now. It is a very cute theatre that has only one theatre. This film is about a Québecois film maker, Bernard (Luc Picard) who goes to Rwanda to film a movie about AIDS. He becomes very close to many of his film subjects and their family. He falls in love with Gentille (Fatou N'Diyae), one of the workers of the hotel that he is staying at. War breaks out in between the Tutsis and the Hutus and they get stuck in the middle. Bernard refuses to flee to Canada because he knows that if he does, Gentille will be killed as she is a Tutsi. This film is extremely realistic, and does not leave anything to the imagination. There were a few scenes that were a little too gruesome for me and I had to look away, but this film is based on a true story, so the harshness is a must to portray what the Favreau is trying to show. This film is filmed in French, but has English subtitles, so it can be enjoyed by almost anyone. As I left the theatre, I heard many people compare this film to Hotel Rwanda. I found out afterwards that it was filmed in the same hotel as Hotel Rwanda. Although this is not my usually genre of film, I enjoyed it, as did the other members of the French Student Union that I went to it with.

1 comment:

Fazila said...

I heard that Hotel Rwanda was based on the way the people of Rwanda saw the genocide, while other films are based on the view of how outsiders saw/experienced the war. Nonetheless, I am a fan of foriegn film and Un Dimanche à Kigali sounds like a movie I will have to watch... The only problem is that at times I am usually slow at reading subtitles, so I will probably wait till it is out on DVD, that way I can pause and rewind...hehe