Monday, March 19, 2007

Donnie Darko (2001)



Director: Richard Kelly (2001)
Country of Origin: USA

Donnie Darko was the much deserved recipient of 11 awards and 9 nominations. I just watched this movie for the first time last week, and definitely think it is one of those films that must be watched more than once. This movie kept my attention throughout the whole movie, and probably for about two hours afterwards as I pondered what happened. Still, right now there are questions running through my mind. There are so many possible ways that this film could be interpreted. The director, Richard Kelly actually had a hard time finding an endorser due to the fact that it had such a mix of genres and tones. This movie could be possibly classified as horror, but I’d lean more towards a bit of fantasy. As I watched this movie, I finally thought that I figured out what was going on, when all of the sudden there is a great turn at the end that made me want to watch it again. In an earlier discussion today with Kurtis, he mentioned the directors cut, which sounds like it may explain many of my questions. I plan to find a copy of this very soon! My recommendation is that you watch the theatrical version first, and if you enjoyed this movie as much as I did then I’m sure that you will want to watch the director’s cut. All I can end with is that I can’t believe it took me six years to watch this movie!

View trailer here:
http://imdb.com/title/tt0246578/trailers

2 comments:

Kurtis said...

"Donnie Darko" has a immense cult following. I'm glad to see you've been converted; it's difficult to resist the film's charms and ambiguities. For those interested, the "Director's Cut" DVD has several fascinating short docs.

"Why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?"

- Kurtis

Fazila said...

I was skeptical when I first watched this movie a couple years ago, but after I finished it I felt the same way you did...I didn't know what to make of it. So I did what I had to do, I bought a copy so I could watch it again and again...I don't know if its the directors cut but if it is I will lend you my copy. As Kurtis said in his comment...we've been converted and nothing is better then that...