Sunday, March 11, 2007

Frank Millers 300 (Zack Snyder, 2006)



Country Origin: USA

Wow, where do I even start! I went to see 300 the day after it came out in theatres and the line-ups were around the corner to see it. This was by far one of my favorite action movies of all-time, and I'd probably even go see it again. Leading up to seeing it, I had watched trailers and a few scenes from the movie on youtube and every time I watched them, I got more and more excited about seeing it. The pure intensity and aggression displayed in the characters in the movie is enough to get anyone's adrenaline going. Gerard Butler plays the role of King Leonidas of Sparta and he truly embodies the passion and spirit of what a Spartan soldier represented, such qualities like respect, honour, fearlessness, "from an early age, they were taught never to retreat, never to surrender, as death on the battlefield was the greatest glory a man could achieve."

The actors who play the Spartan soldiers all looked more than fit enough to be considered the "finest soldiers the world has ever seen," and as one of my buddies stated (in reference to the Spartans) "this looks like a steroid convention!" The film is packed with bloody and savage battle scenes which are conducted by both narrative speaking as well as direct dialogue from the actors, which gives the movie a unique style. Along with the countless battle scenes are a number of memorable lines, predominately from King Leonidas, that are both motivation and at times pretty humorous. Here's a few of my favorite quotes from the movie:

Persian:"Spartans, put down your spears..." Leonidas: "Persians, come and get them!"

Persian messenger: "This is blasphemy, this is madness..." Leonidas:"Madness? This Is SPARTA!"

Leonidas: "Spartans, ready your breakfast and eat hearty, for tonight we dine in HELL!"

The list could easily continue for quite some time but I'll let you see it and enjoy it all for yourself. There is no confusing this movie with a chick-flick as it is quite clearly an action packed guy-type movie, but that being said, I still think it's a great must-see movie for anyone to enjoy. I can't say enough good things about 300, just please go see it for yourself and then you'll understand that "...free men stood against a tyrant, that few stood against many, and before this battle was over, that even a God-king can bleed."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkdMvpb8o3Q Warning--contains scenes of violence and nudity. Viewer discretion is advised.

4 comments:

Kat said...

I totally have to agree that this is one of the best movies I have ever seen!! I went to go see it twice. I love how all the big battle scenes are in slow motion.

Kurtis said...

I have yet to see this; thanks for the motivation! I'm looking forward to it.

Have you seen "Sin City?" Judging by the film stills you posted, the graphics have been vastly improved upon.

- Kurtis

Tovers said...

Yeah I have seen Sin City Kurtis, it was alright, but 300 definitly outdid it by far! Don't wait, go see it haha.

Roxanne said...

Darnit! I went to go and see the movie last night hoping to do my review on it, but you beat me to the punch =P
haha!